For the month of January as many of us are beginning to implement new healthy habits into our new year, we also invite you to detox your hair from the following harmful ingredients still lurking in some of your personal care products.
The list of 5 to look out for and avoid:
1. Ingredients to Avoid: DEA (diethanolamine) & MEA (monoethanolamide) & TEA (triethanolamine)
These ingredients are found in shampoos and moisturizers and have been linked to liver cancer and precancerous changes in skin and thyroid.
2. Ingredients to Avoid: BHA (butylated hydroxyanisole) & BHT (butylated hydroxytoluene)
These ingredients are used as a preservative in moisturizers and can induce allergic reactions and be an endocrine disruptor.
3. Ingredients to Avoid: Quarternium-15, imidazolidinyl urea, diazolidinyl urea, methenamine, & DMDM hydantoin
These ingredients are used in many cosmetics as a preservative. They release formaldehyde which is a known human carcinogen. They can also irritate the skin and trigger allergies.
4. Ingredients to Avoid: Ethylene oxide & 1,4-dioxane, and others that include the clauses xynol, and oleth.
These ingredients are found in products containing sodium laureth sulfate, and PEG compounds. They have been linked to cancer, and harmful to the nervous system.
5. Ingredients to Avoid: Parfum or Fragrance
These ingredients are found in perfumes, deodorants, hair products and cosmetics. They can trigger allergies, asthma, hormone disruption, and neurotoxicity.